What Causes ovarian Cysts?
The underlying cause of ovarian cysts is an elevated level of estrogen in your body. It is well documented that increased levels of estrogen are caused mainly by dietary and lifestyle choices that contribute to hormone imbalance in woman’s body.
So, to get relief from the symptoms, and minimize your risks of having painful cysts on your ovaries, you need to follow the guidelines below for optimum diet. The diet for correcting the hormonal imbalance focuses on natural foods that don’t raise estrogen.
Ovarian Cyst Prevention Diet: Foods To Avoid or Eliminate Completely
The following foods cause increased levels of estrogen and other hormone imbalance in your body:
- All animal-based foods: meats and dairy products
- All processed foods: white flour products, fast foods, foods containing preservatives, colorants, sugary foods, fatty foods.
- Caffeine, tea, alcohol, sugar.
A diet that is high in animal products and highly processed food products has been show to:
- Lower the age of the first menstrual period
- Raise the age of menopause
- Raise the levels of female hormones in the bloodstream
- Increase blood cholesterol levels
Women who eat a diet that is rich in animal-based products, with a low amount of unprocessed, plant-based foods, on average start menstruating earlier and reach menopause later, therefore causing excessive exposure to female hormones during their reproductive lives.
Ovarian Cyst Prevention Diet: Foods To Eat
Eat a diet that is based on the following foods:
(1) Whole Foods - No, it doesn’t mean you need to shop at Whole Foods (unless you want to and can afford to).
What it means, you need to be eating food in its purest, wholest state – unprocessed, without artificial additives, sweeteners, colorings and preservatives. That is the optimal food for ensuring a healthy body and balance hormones. It’s also most nutritious food available – so you will not need any nutritional supplements or vitamins. Eat Whole, Unprocessed Foods!
(2) Plant Based. Whatever type of diet you follow and whether you include dairy, meat or seafood; you need to reconfigure your plate so the majority of each meal is abundant in raw and cooked vegetables, fruits, legumes/beans, seeds, nuts or whole grains. Eat a colorful variety of plants!
(3) Healthy Fats – Eliminate “bad” fats and get healthy fats from whole plant sources, such as nuts, seeds and avocados. These are rich in micronutrients as well. Try to eliminate (or minimize) extracted oils and processed fats. Eat Healthy Fats!
(4) Nutrient Dense – Choose foods that are rich in micronutrients when compared to their total caloric content. Micronutrients include vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytochemicals. Eat Nutrient Dense Foods!
- Fresh, raw vegetables
- Fresh, raw dark leafy greens
- Fresh, raw fruits
- Whole grains
- Raw nuts and seeds
These foods are high in fiber, which reduces excess estrogen in your body and prevents constipation and toxin buildup, both of which cause cysts and fibroids.
Replace unhealthy fats with essential fatty acids – flaxseed oil or hemp seed oil, and focus on foods that are high in antioxidants – vegetables, greens, fruits, raw nuts, raw sees, whole grains and legumes – as they can help your body get rid of excess estrogen.
Foods high in sulfur-containing amino acids, such as garlic, onions and beans are also considered beneficial.
Reduce or eliminate your intake of dairy products, eggs, red meat, sugar, white flour, refined foods, caffeine, chocolate, black and green teas and all “bad” fats, as all these foods can increase estrogen levels and put your body out of balance.
Another tip is to avoid storing foods in plastic containers, as this has been show to increase estrogen in the body.
Questions About Ovarian Cyst Symptoms? Comments? Suggestions?
Use the comment section below to write your comments, questions, suggestions or tips regarding ovarian cyst symptoms and treatment.
Read more tips on this Ovarian Cyst Symptoms & Signs site.